Community volunteers are not only welcome; they are necessary--no matter what their construction experience or skill levels may be. Habitat’s Construction Manager oversees the construction site and will decide each volunteer's job based on daily needs and individual skills.
• General construction. Building teams can use anyone at any skill level, from beginner to expert.
• Especially Needed! Experienced electricians, plumbers and carpenters.
• Painting. Volunteers aged 14-16 can participate once major construction is done on a house.
Non-construction support volunteers are also needed:
• Sign-In. Help construction volunteers sign in at the construction site.
• Lunch for Volunteers. Provide food and drink for other volunteers, with your group or family.
• Phoning Volunteers. Schedule volunteers for a workday or remind them of their workday.
Most home construction begins at 8:00 am on Saturdays. However, volunteer opportunities are also available on weekdays.
Interested in volunteering? Click here to register or call the Habitat office (256-340-9609) for more information. Check out our construction calendar to find out where we're currently working. (Construction projects in spring and fall only, unless otherwise indicated.)
Kids under the age of 16 are not allowed on a HFH construction site when major construction is being performed. 14- and 15-year-olds can help with painting and landscaping, but not actual construction.