Community volunteers are not only welcome; they are necessary--no matter what their construction experience or skill levels may be. Habitat's Construction Manager oversees the construction site and will decide each volunteer's job based on daily needs and individual skills.
• General construction. Building teams can use anyone at any skill level, from beginner to expert.
• Especially Needed! Experienced electricians, plumbers and carpenters.
• Painting. Volunteers aged 14-16 can participate once major construction is done on a house.
Non-construction support volunteers are also needed:
• Sign-In. Help construction volunteers sign in at the construction site.
• Lunch for Volunteers. Provide food and drink for other volunteers, with your group or family.
• Phoning Volunteers. Schedule volunteers for a workday or remind them of their workday.
Most home construction begins at 8:00 am on Saturdays. However, volunteer opportunities are also available on weekdays. Check out our construction calendar or call the Habitat office (256-340-9609) for more information.
Kids under the age of 16 are not allowed on a HFH construction site when major construction is being performed. 14- and 15-year-olds can help with painting and landscaping, but not actual construction.