Donate $$ Now
Homeownership is within reach!
Habitat for Humanity of Morgan County makes homeownership possible for low-income households, offering mortgage loans with 0% interest to purchase homes built or renovated by Habitat.
Habitat homes are not free! Monthly payments will not exceed 30% of gross monthly income at the time of purchase. Payments include principal on the mortgage loan (the actual "house payment"), property taxes, homeowner's insurance, termite protection, and servicing fees. Homeowners are responsible for maintaining their homes. Further information is available by attending an Application Information Meeting.
***From application to owning a home takes approximately 12 - 24 months. Habitat is a long-term homeownership program and does not provide emergency housing.***
To qualify for a Habitat house, you must live in Morgan County (Alabama), have a housing need, be able to pay monthly payments, and be willing to help build your house.
You must have a need for adequate housing. Here are some examples of need:
• Your house is in poor condition.
• You are living with family or friends.
• You live in Section 8 or Housing Authority housing.
• Your house is overcrowded.
• Your housing expenses are more than 30% of your income.
• You or a family member has special needs.
ABILITY TO PAY
Since you will be buying your home from Habitat, you must show that you have an ability to pay for the home.
• Total yearly income must fall within Habitat's income guidelines (see below).
• You must have a source of steady income which may include wages from a job, SSI, Social Security, child support, public assistance, or alimony.
• We obtain credit reports on our applicants. Court-ordered judgments or liens must be paid. Bankruptcies must be discharged (if Chapter 7) or within 1 year of discharge (if Chapter 13).
WILLINGNESS TO PARTNER
If your application is approved, you can become a partner with Habitat.
• Partners must complete volunteer work, including construction assistance, painting, landscaping, and working in our Habitat ReStore.
• Partners will be expected to attend homeowner education classes, including budgeting, buying a home, lawn care, home maintenance, and a variety of other topics.
• Partners will be responsible for home maintenance and repair after they move in.
in order to qualify for the Habitat program.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, age, marital status, or sources of income.